WordPress has many terrific uses. Like many of the visitors who read this site, you may be looking for a way to make a little money online (or more than a little!). Affiliate marketing is one such way…
If you don’t want to create your own products and would rather help others sell theirs, affiliate marketing might be the perfect method for you. It’s not automatic money, though. There’s still a bit of work when it comes to generating traffic and getting sales.
The 5 Simple Steps to Becoming an Affiliate Marketer
- Register Your Domain. Try to find a domain with your particular niche in the keywords. Not only will you rank a little higher in the search engines but it will be easier for others to tell their friends about your site. We tend to use GoDaddy as they currently offer a Domain Sale! $7.49 .com at GoDaddy.
- Get Hosting. There are plenty of companies to choose from (we use Bluehost and HostGator ourselves). Whatever you do, don’t go for a “free hosting” option. They aren’t made for what affiliate marketers need to accomplish.
- Signup with Affiliate Programs. Start with ClickBank, PayDotCom, Share-A-Sale, Commission Junction and Amazon (for starters). Look for top quality products that would be a great fit for your visitors, not just the ones that pay great commissions.
- Build Your WordPress Blog. Install WordPress and begin to fill it with quality content that relates to the niche you’ve decided to promote. Make sure the content is relevant and high quality. Ask yourself if you would stick around to read the content you’re providing, if not… make it better. Your site won’t perform as well if you don’t have solid content that’s worth coming back for.
- Mix in Affiliate Offers. Here’s the fun part! As you write blog posts, include hyperlinks to any relevant affiliate offers. Place affiliate offers in your side bar as 125×125 button ads, even as a banner ad above your blog post. Did you notice we mixed in our own affiliate offers for Bluehost, Hostgator and GoDaddy on this post? If you click on those links and decide to purchase, we’ll receive compensation and you’ll see affiliate marketing in action!